cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kurt_faulknerlo
Community Participant

REST - What are the Account include[]:services?

Jump to solution

Using the optional include parameters for the REST "List accounts" endpoint, I've been able to return additional information for "lit_guid" and "registration_settings", but nothing seems to be returned when I use the "services" parameter.  I've made sure that the account I'm accessing with is an account manager, and I've tried using the root account and different sub-accounts.

The API simply states:  "services" returns services and whether they are enabled (requires account management permissions)

I'm guessing that my Canvas instance doesn't have any "services" that are referenced by this parameter.  What are the services that this parameter references?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinMurtaugh
Community Champion

Hi Kurt --

When I add that include[]=services parameter to the accounts list API call for our instance, each account entry in the results list includes a map of services that looks like:

"services": {
"google_drive": true,
"google_docs_previews": true,
"skype": true,
"linked_in": true,
"twitter": true,
"delicious": true,
"diigo": false,
"avatars": true,
"analytics": true
}

Note that this only works if I make the API call as a user who is an administrator of the top-level account, and it only works on the list call, not on the individual account call. 

Hope this helps!

--Colin

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ColinMurtaugh
Community Champion

Hi Kurt --

When I add that include[]=services parameter to the accounts list API call for our instance, each account entry in the results list includes a map of services that looks like:

"services": {
"google_drive": true,
"google_docs_previews": true,
"skype": true,
"linked_in": true,
"twitter": true,
"delicious": true,
"diigo": false,
"avatars": true,
"analytics": true
}

Note that this only works if I make the API call as a user who is an administrator of the top-level account, and it only works on the list call, not on the individual account call. 

Hope this helps!

--Colin

View solution in original post

Thanks for the response Colin.  I'm still very new to Canvas and don't have any of these services configured yet.  It's nice to see what the actual output should look like.  

I had been thinking that these services were related to the "External Apps" in the "Apps" tab of the Account settings in the Web UI since these are discussed in the admin guide and there is an External Tools API.  However, I see a few of these services under "Enabled Web Services" on the main Account settings page.  

Do you know what the difference is between the "External Apps" and the "Enabled Web Services"?

Thanks again. 

Hi Kurt --

The External Apps list on the Apps tab in account settings is strictly for tools that are integrated using the standard LTI protocol, and these are the same tool configurations that are available via the External Tools API.  

The Enabled Web Services area controls some integrations that are more custom; these are integrations that are written into the Canvas code itself as opposed to integrations via plug-in LTI modules. 

--Colin