Roll Call Attendance

Jump to solution
solomong
Community Explorer

So, what's the latest on an API for Roll Call? The web isn't looking too promising...😂

Thanks,
Jerry

2 Solutions
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @solomong,

I don't believe the Attendance/Roll Call tool has an API available.  It's actually an external tool integrated into Canvas, which means and if an API were ever developed for the tool, it would probably be a standalone thing and not directly connected to Canvas.  The  Solved: Attendance Report Using API - Instructure Community discussion has some alternate suggestions that may work for you, depending on what exactly you're trying to do.

Hope this helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

@wade1 

If I remember my history correctly, RollCall Attendance was written by Instructure for a client and then released for others to use. But it was never intended to be a full-featured attendance tool. They maintain it but don't look to improve it. It has a lot of inflexibility that other parts of Canvas don't such as the admonition to never delete, rename, or unpublish the assignment.

There is some development happening in Instructrure's rollcall-attendance GitHub repository but most of it involves updating libraries to newer versions and not adding new functionality.

There was a push several years ago for people to write alternatives. Kansas State University developed their attendance tool in 2017 and switched over to using it. I'm not sure if this is the same version mentioned, but they have an lti-attendance repository.

Other third party solutions, such as aPlus+ attendance are available for a fee. As a paid service, I would expect them to be more receptive to suggestions than Instructure is about RollCall Attendance.

I don't use any of the three attendance platforms I mentioned so do not take them as recommendations. I used RollCall attendance for a week or two back in 2012 or 2013 and have never gone back. I have automated pulling reports out of RollCall for an early-alert system, but don't use RollCall myself anymore.

View solution in original post