Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul14
Community Participant

Using API to get latest messages in conversations

Jump to solution

Hi Developer Community,

Following on from a post I made here about our struggles with conversations between our team and our students, I'd like to get some advice.

I am looking to engage a developer to build something for us.

We want to be able to get a copy of every message sent, and every message received by a user, then use something like Zapier to put each message in our student management system so there is a log of all communication easily viewable by our team.

I've been looking at the Conversations API and I can see how to access a conversation by its ID. I can see from the URL how to pull out a conversation, e.g. [account].instructure.com/api/v1/conversations/[conversation id].

I am just struggling to see how we would get each conversation when it is sent or received.

I just want to get a little more understanding of how this might work before I go and brief a developer on what we want done.

Has anyone here worked with the conversations API before?

What we are ultimately aiming for is to build something like my idea submitted here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/17387-canvas-timeline so once conversations is working, we'll use the same approach to gather across the latest submissions, submission comments and grades etc. for a user.

If anyone already has something like this please let me know! Or if there is something already performing similar functionality, that would be amazing.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Paul,

Here are a few links from the community about how you can download canvas data. 

Canvas Data FAQ 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6600-how-to-use-the-canvas-data-cli-tool 

Quicker ways to Download Canvas Data 

GitHub - instructure/canvas-data-cli: Command line tool to connect and download files from Canvas Da... 

Hope these help. Once you have the data downloading we can assist further with tables and queries. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Paul,

Are you using or looked at using canvas data? If not you may want to check it out as you can get every message sent/received utilizing tables in it and wouldn't have use API calls to loop through and get each conversation. 

paul14
Community Participant

I had no idea about this Brian, you've given me plenty more reading to do now! Thank you.

paul14
Community Participant

@bneporadny ‌ and anyone else, I was wondering if you could please connect me with someone who could assist in the development of something like this?

bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Paul,

Here are a few links from the community about how you can download canvas data. 

Canvas Data FAQ 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6600-how-to-use-the-canvas-data-cli-tool 

Quicker ways to Download Canvas Data 

GitHub - instructure/canvas-data-cli: Command line tool to connect and download files from Canvas Da... 

Hope these help. Once you have the data downloading we can assist further with tables and queries. 

View solution in original post

paul14
Community Participant

Wonderful, Brian, thanks so much.

Kind regards,
Paul