Access to the STUDENT VIEW on an iPad or other tablet

I can access STUDENT VIEW on the computer, but not on the iPad App. I need to be able to see Student View on the iPad as my district is 1:1 with iPads.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26725-canvas-teacher-release-notes-ios-111 .

39 Comments
peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Really neat idea...

Given how limited course facilitation functionality is in the Canvas mobile app, I wonder how many people are using that app to facilitate their courses. In other words, are you even interested in seeing the teacher's perspective from the mobile app as long as the functionality associated with teachers is so limited, or would it be more appropriate to only ever show the student's perspective? (And in other, other words, as a teacher, are you currently only using the Canvas mobile app to reference course material that students are interacting with? What kind of teacher-specific functionality are you currently using in the Canvas app?)

Thanks for the feedback!!

jbrady2
Community Champion

This would be an ideal feature. As someone who has an interest in mobile learning in general and how to leverage Canvas for that purpose specifically, I currently test mobile compatibility using the free account, but this means that I then have to duplicate work adding or removing items or features from the free account for testing, and then doing the same in my institution's account.

allierib
Community Novice

I also added this as a suggestion...It would be very helpful for teachers to be able to toggle between 'student view' and 'teacher view' on the iPad (as you can using the browser) when teachers are leading instruction in-class .

sriramr
Community Explorer

All of us in Wellesley would love this feature especially where our MS is a 1:1 iPad program.  It is very helpful for teachers to show what a student view looks to the class during instruction.  Students will greatly benefit from this feature.

clarkem
Community Novice

Just wanted to chime in here on the importance of this feature for teachers who use Canvas in class. SO much of what we do as teachers is​ modeling, and it's really hard to model the use of Canvas if we can't show our students exactly what they see.

wade1
Community Explorer

I am so glad that this is moving forward...I definitely want to see what my students see to help them navigate through the course.  I now realize that they could be lost if they don't know about the differences between mobile and desktop.

We are switching from BB to Canvas and I was told that the student view was "perfect"...sorry to say that it isn't until I can get it in Mobile!

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Moving to Under Consideration...we'll figure something out.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I hope that this idea is still under consideration! Teachers enjoy having the Student View from their desktops, and I frequently hear the question, "Why can't we do this on the iPad?" We provide our students with iPads, and to be able to really understand what they see is important! Right now, granted, it's close with the Canvas by Instructure app. However, with the launch of Canvas Teacher App‌, the value of this feature increases. Right now, I plan to keep both apps on my iPad so I can adjust things with Teacher but demo things with "Student". 

rseilham
Community Champion

Hi,  @peytoncraighill ‌! Any updates on this one? Thanks!