All or No Points on Multiple Answer Questions

Currently multiple answer questions give a partial score if students do not choose all the correct answers. Please add a feature that allows faculty to set multiple answer questions to give an all or nothing score if the student does not choose all of the correct answers. Many professional certification exams require this type of scoring and currently our faculty are having to hand grade these questions.
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please refer to How do I create a Multiple Answer question in New Quizzes?

94 Comments
jjrasmus
Community Novice

Does any one at Canvas have an update for this????  Or has anyone in this group heard anything from Canvas?  Its been open for about 2 years now.  To us this looks to be a bug not an enhancement.  When it comes to standardized testing select all apply questions are all or nothing when it comes to points.  Should an instructor choose to award partial credit for select all type questions that should be an option but not the default option.  Most of our instructors are choosing to stick with paper tests because it takes longer for them to go back and adjust the score in canvas.  This should be an urgent fix to this bug.  Canvas even has this when you go and add a multiple answer question: "This question will show a checkbox next to each answer, and the student must select ALL the answers you mark as correct."  

changti
Community Member

Yes, I also agree that this is a needed feature.  To have an option: to either enable partial credit grading or to grade in an all/nothing way would be greatly appreciated by Nursing faculty, and other professional certification programs as well.

Thank you!

Tina

mjennings
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@jjrasmus , From all that I have gathered this is addressed in the new quizzes.next‌ project that is currently in a beta testing stage to be release in the near future. You can learn more over in the Priority: Quizzes.Next‌ space. I do not believe that they will be updating the current quiz tool as all resources are working to get the replacement tool available. 

czubaraa
Community Novice

I believe this feature is needed, but it should be an option.  Users should be able to choose if they want to do partial credit or "all or nothing" credit.  This allows it to meet the needs of all instructors using these types of questions.  Currently, I teach in Nursing and we make our select all that apply questions worth all or nothing due to that is the way NCLEX presents questions.  I still do select all that apply questions, but have to manually go into each students quiz or exam attempt and adjust their scores as necessary.  This is very time consuming.

Thank you.
Angela

clee6
Community Novice

I see that this has been a suggested correction/addition for almost 3 years.  I am disheartened to know that this was originally suggested in 2015!  Yikes!  Can someone offer a timeline for this option to be available?  This does not seem like a large problem, and as others in this discussion have pointed out, yet it is something that is important to address.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings  @clee6  

New features are not being added to the existing quizzing tool, however there is a lot of work being done in the new Quizzes LTI tool.  You can visit the group I linked to to find out more.

More specifically, here is information directly related to How do I create a Multiple Answer question in the Quizzes LTI? 

nicolem_banker
Community Novice

I feel that this feature should be an option in which teachers can use it depending on the questions and concepts being tested. If it is an option it allows teachers to provide opportunities for students to receive credit based on participation and not just accuracy. I feel that having both options will benefit teachers as well as students. 

peter_brooks
Community Novice

Very important for the nursing exams. It needs to reflect the actual board exams.

heather_stockfo
Community Contributor

@renee_woodruff Carney, I love the options coming out in the new LTI (especially with hot spots), but this still doesn't provide an option for grading "All or Nothing", which is what nursing institutions are still begging for, and like carlaaxxLee, stated above... "for 3 years now"... Are other schools still manually adjusting grades?

cindy_masek1
Community Explorer

This is a huge time problem for nursing faculty. And yes @Carla Lee  it has gone on too long unaddressed.  So long that I am at a different college than when I first posted on this in 2015!  I can't believe that a product that in other ways is so responsive to educational needs is so resistant to this request.  I know that originally the product did grade all or none and at community request it was changed to the partial it is today - but is it not possible to address both needs?