[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
josh_langston
Community Explorer

In response to Kelley and Jeff...

The need for this function for some of us is not one of either ease of use or student responsibility.  It is a matter of accessibility to technology with which to submit assignments.  Teaching in a Title 1 school, a significant portion of my students do not have access to a device or computer with which to do the online work.  So, to help them stay on pace with other students, being able to capture their work in class with a class device would solve many problems.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I just came across a question where the solution to the problem was to create a new assignment and have the students re-submit because the original assignment was set up incorrectly. This is just one example of a situation where this functionality could "save the day" and one where there is no relation to student responsibility.

benklash
Community Novice

Just putting in my vote for multilayered and variable functionality...

jstevens1
Community Novice

is there an update on this?

rparsick
Community Novice

How has this idea not been implemented yet?

This idea or are standard features in every other LMS.

Why continue to focus on adding "fluff" features when there are so many standard ones that are missing from Canvas...?

miller_7293
Community Novice

I'd like to see this functionality as well. It's crunch time for my students to submit peer reviews, and some submitted the initial assignment to the wrong dropbox. I'd like to just move them myself and be done with it rather than emailing students to ask them to resubmit to the correct location.

DeletedUser
Not applicable

Would really like to be able to have this feature. Good for when people email assignments instead of posting them (sometimes because they don't have institutional Canvas access yet) or when students submit assignments after I've closed it. 

rfeilden
Community Novice

Another vote here for this.  It's second on my list of wanted features, behind creating groups for quiz moderation so I don't have to adjust every quiz on a per student basis as DSPS requests come in over the first few weeks of the semester.

dcoles1
Community Novice

Would LOVE to have this feature!  I used this feature often in Blackboard, particularly when a student had computer issues on their end, and it was nice to be able to grade their papers by just dragging and dropping the file into the system.  Great feature!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space