[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
thompsli
Community Champion

I usually upload my paper exam scans as assignment comments in SpeedGrader, but that doesn't let you use the document markup tools (you can still use the SpeedGrader interface and rubrics to enter grades - I mark up my assignments on paper before scanning them). Unfortunately, files attached as comments can only be downloaded, not previewed. They also have to be uploaded student-by-student rather than in bulk, which is a pain. 

ramirez-johnson
Community Novice

Epistemological NOTE: Please see the idea of submitting an assignment in behave of a student NOT as a ASSUMING the student's Canvas Persona BUT as leaving a clear markup of by whom it was submitted.

Reason #1--There are students old and young who will not be able to receive support (language or cultural issues) and

Reason #2--It is more work for the teacher to teach how to than it is to have the student send an email with the assignment and submitting in their behave. 

Reason #3--Sometimes teachers make mistakes when they create the assignments (can you believe that!!!). Mistakes that require re-creating the assignment, then it it easier to download and upload the assignment in behave of the student than dealing with the communication asking students to resubmit.

bob5
Community Novice

Hello Christi, it's been over a year and a half since a developer commented on the status of this.  Would you be able to chime in with an update?  Thanks in advance.
Bob

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@bob5  

Thank you for your inquiry.  Within the last year our process made an evolution and our product team is no longer commenting on every idea that reaches a specific vote.  Instead you'll see them engaging in focus groups and in the priorities listed in Canvas Studio.

There is no update for this idea at this time, but do continue to follow it so you will receive a notification when there is an update.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I did want to add...  This is still something that we are really interested in doing, and we do pay attention to the use cases in the comment thread!  It just hasn't been this ideas' time yet to be at the top of the priorities list. 

dgonzalez13
Community Novice

Here's another request for this feature. Any movement yet on it?

jonth
Community Novice

I naively assumed this feature would be available and am somewhat stuck without it. This request is _three years_ old...

kcummins1
Community Novice

I need this function for Canvas to work in my environment. I collect written assignments (quizzes/exams etc) in class and I scan them and so I'm the one holding the documents.  It is important to be able mark them up after they have been uploaded.

cchui
Community Novice

Just also wanted to pitch in on this discussion because I am currently having a scenario where we want to keep submissions closed (to prevent students who submitted on time from resubmitting) but allow the teaching team to upload late assignments on the student(s)' behalf.

dwfendrich
Community Novice

This is also an issue for students with disabilities.  They take exams at a different location or time than the rest of the class and can not upload as the other students do.  I get an emailed assignment but I can't then use speedgrader or turnitin.  This creates a bias.  Please give teachers this role in Canvas.