[Enrollments] Allow enrollment "force" option through API for concluded/closed courses

Problem statement:

We occasionally get requests from teachers to add additional teacher enrollments to past courses in order to share course content, review performance, etc. However, we have to create an SIS enrollment file each time and upload through the GUI since the courses are "frozen", and this takes a significant amount of time.

Proposed solution:

It would be VERY helpful to add a switch/parameter on the enrollment API endpoint to allow an admin to "force" an enrollment on a concluded course or one that is beyond the course or term date(s). example: https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/enrollments.html#method.enrollments_api.create new parameter: enrollment[force]

User role(s):

admin

1 Comment
jpoulos
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Thanks for submitting your idea!

I believe the solution for this is to use the SIS Imports API to apply the solution you've been doing via the GUI. Given that I believe that there is a solution to the problem at hand, I've set the status to "Will Not Consider".

If you'd like to add more detail on why my recommendation is not going to solve the problem, please feel free to respond with more clarity around the added value of modifying our enrollments API, and I'd happily reconsider changing the status.