[Enrollments] Bulk Combine Students from Multiple Sections into One Section

Problem statement:

Students in cross-listed courses must be individually and manually pulled into the section in which they are not enrolled. Until this happens, students cannot communicate with students in the other section and students cannot see/respond to discussion posts from the other section. Faculty should be able to bulk enroll students from one section into another section. Below is a history of correspondence about this at CSULB. - Peter Kreysa

[Begin email exchange] I understand one of your students isn't able to see all their classmates in this course. I did some testing and masqueraded as the student to see what they were experiencing and what I noted is that, Yes the Cross-listing was successful but the two sections is the course are still segregated (This is intended behavior so the cross-listing can later be undone if requested.) *****

This means the students from section: Sec01 7870 won't be able to communicate/see students from the cross-listed section: Sec01 7872 ***** This can be changed by enabling students to view other sections, HERE is a good Canvas guide on this topic. *****

Thanks for the information. I have looked at this on Canvas and it looks like I have to do the adjustment for each student individually, right? I can’t just select all of the students and allow them to see the other section? If this is correct, then that a bit tedious. But if that’s the only way. Please let me know. Thanks. – Peter *****

Thank you for your response. As previously discussed, it appears that this particular process cannot be executed in bulk and necessitates individual initiation for each student. *****

Thanks for the information. So this morning, I had to do the action on Canvas 52 separate times so that all of my students in my cross-listed course can communicate with each other if desired. This makes me think that students not combined using this procedure can also not see the other section’s discussion board posts. Is that correct? If yes, then I will need to communicate this information to all of the other faculty in my department who are teaching cross-listed courses so that they are aware of this need. It’s not a big deal to me this semester, as I have only one discussion board because I teach all face-to-face classes. However, if any professor teaches completely online or hybrid, it will make a big difference to them. Below is the instruction to combine sections in a cross-listed course. A “bulk” process should probably be on your “to-do” list. Thanks in advance for the additional information. Best. – Peter *****

Instructions from Canvas: Sections are an additional way to organize users. This can allow you to teach multiple classes from the same course, so that you can have the course content all in one place. Below you can move a user to a different section, or add/remove section enrollments. Users must be in at least one section at all times. *****

I understand you are wanting to know if students can see discussion replies from users in other sections. Until you make the changes sent to you in the guide, the users can only see replies from users in their own section. Regarding the bulk inquiry, that is a great idea that we may be able to utilize in Canvas at a later time. To have that idea reviewed, please submit it here https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Ideas-and-Themes/ct-p/canvas-ideas-themes?tab=identified [End of email exchange]

Proposed solution:

Faculty should be able to bulk enroll students from one section into another section.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,ta,designer

1 Comment
SamGarza1
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Hello, @PeterKreysa thank you for submitting this idea to the Community. However, I will be moving this to Will Not Consider as restricting sections is often done for privacy. Your admin has likely restricted sections and I recommend talking to your admin about this.