[Gradebook] Section Names in Enhanced Gradebook Filters Should be Legible

Problem statement:

When using the section filter, the section name is truncated in the middle ("Start...End"), making it impossible for our instructors to differentiate between sections. Our section names are typically very similar, and may differ only by one digit. It's critical that the full section name be visible to the instructor. For example, this is a screenshot showing many unique sections, but there is no way you could pick out a specific one:

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.01.59 PM.png

Even if you mouse over the truncated name, it's not possible to read the full section name.

Proposed solution:

This filter should be modified to display the full name of the section to accommodate all section naming schemas. If the section name is too long to fit on the screen, or fit on a single line, hovering over the truncated text should display the entire line.

User role(s):

admin,instructor

2 Comments
jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @milesl! Thanks for sharing this idea. I know that we've also been corresponding about this issue in your post in the Enhanced Gradebook Filters User Group. I'm going to also post my response here for reference. 

Thanks for sharing this feedback along with a screenshot so that we can see exactly what your pain point is. In updating this to be consistent with other filters, such as modules, it seems we made life much easier for some, but not for others, such as yourself. 

The showing of the full section name upon hover is something that we'd also like to do and we already have a ticket with the engineering team to add this in. I've reached out to the team to see about how quickly we can get that piece prioritized. We'll be sure to provide an update.  

Given that this is a feature preview and we are communicating through your post in that group and we already have this work underway, I've proposed that the community team close this request out. We'll have an update in the user group post as soon as we have more information regarding the change and when you should see it. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback as an Idea in the Community!

To streamline our Ideas & Conversations space and to prevent duplicate conversations, this thread has been moved to our WIll Not Consider status.