[Gradebook Settings] A global option to enable/disable Missing and Late Status labels in the New Gradebook

I would like to see a more global option to enable/disable the display of MISSING/LATE assignment labels to our students in their Gradebook. While I appreciate the effort to address our initial concerns about this feature in the New Gradebook, as it is now this option must be managed student-by-student for EACH assignment. The display of these labels as the default is problematic for those of us who allow students to choose among a number of assignments to complete within an assignment group (e.g. making those ‘not done’ assignments neither ‘late’ nor ‘missing’).  

An Example...An instructor with 4 classes in a 16 week semester, with 50 students in each class, allows students to choose 5/10 assignments to complete in a given assignment group. The instructor cannot know which of these assignments students will choose until all of the assignment deadlines in that assignment group have passed. As such, to prevent students from seeing inaccurate late/missing labels in the New Gradebook for assignments that were not actually required, the instructor must:

1) go to the Gradebook column for each assignment in that assignment group (10 assignments)
2) click on the cell where each student’s grade would appear for that assignment (200 students)
3) change the Grade Detail Tray to ‘No Status’ (= 2000 grade detail tray changes)

If you then consider instructors with larger classes, and/or those who allow assignment choices in more than one assignment group, I think the need for a more global option associated with this feature becomes clear. 

For a more detailed explanation of how the option the removal of these labels is currently managed in the New Gradebook, please see ttps://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13333-canvas-release-new-gradebook#jive_content_id_Grades_Ma... . 

Additional concerns associated with this issue can be found in my post at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9339-missing-label-placed-incorrectlysubmission-on-paper-and-o... (Feb. 25th, 2018). 

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

62 Comments
drs02040
Community Explorer

It looks like our school uses the new gradebook with no other choice available.

devriest
Community Explorer

How about being able to use a shortcut like "M" on the gradebook side to indicate missing like the "EX" indicates excused?  Right now I have to click twice, once on the arrow next to the grade and once on the missing button.  Too many clicks.

marisa_willman
Community Novice

I completely agree and have the exact same issue. One year later and there is still no resolution in sight from Canvas.

don_quick
Community Member

Another complication of not being able to turn this Late process off is the fact that a student may have gotten it in on time, satisfying the late requirements. However, if they resubmit after the due date it will be marked as Late. Which is not true it wasn't late. So it is a bug not an enhancement. 

I use a mastery learning process so it is inevitable that they will will be submitting the assignment more than once. I put a due date on the assignment as an incentive for them to get at least the first draft on time. Subsequent drafts don't matter, it's just as dependent on how fast I can get the feedback to them as it is them fixing it.  So there is no reason why the second submission should be marked as Late.  Also, even if you manually change each submission Status to None in the Grade book the next Submission will show as Late again. 

Only the first submission should be marked as late. Canvas please treat this as a bug and fix it now. Don't wait for the next time you install a new grade book several years from now. 

If you do fix this then that will help several of the issues listed here (not solve help). Once you turn it off for a student on an assignment it should stay off. 

Don Quick

Colorado State University

drs02040
Community Explorer

Another week, another annoying grading session.  This week I tried submitting all grades minutes before the deadline, hoping the status setting "normal" would remain afterwards.  I thought the "missing" status may be avoided that way.  But no, when I went back to the grade book, all the grades I submitted minutes before were marked "missing," so I had to go in and manually change each one to "normal."  This is madness!  And a waste of my time.  I hate this grade book.

glassj
Community Novice

The current setup is not only difficult for the teachers, but also the students and parents.  When a paper assignment is generated in order to grade and award points, the computer is currently not recognizing the grade given and therefore is confusing to parents and students.  I have been answering emails since the beginning of the school year about this issue, and a fix needs to happen.  Once a grade has been submitted other than a zero, the assignment should continue to be marked missing.  The computer should recognize this, and move it into the graded color.  

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant
Author

Hello  @glassj  

Did you mean to say ...the assignment should 'not' continue to be marked as missing?

glassj
Community Novice

Yes, the assignment should not be marked missing after a grade has been put in.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant
Author

Hello  @glassj  ,

Personally, I would like to disable those late/missing labels altogether. I heartily agree that your situation provides another clear example of how the automatic assignment of those labels are so often inaccurate - causing confusion for both students and parents, as well as extra work for instructors. 

justus_madden
Community Member

I think allowing the option to remove the LATE posting at the global level is necessary.  Our predicament is that we use a 3rd party assessment platform so most assignment submissions and assessments are happening outside of Canvas, but facilitated through canvas assignments via LTI.  When a student submits within the 3rd party, a call is sent to Canvas to trigger a submission event, so it doesn't appear as late...all is well.  BUT when an instructor grades in the 3rd party and pushes the grade, feedback, and rubric scoring back into Canvas, it submits back to the Canvas assignment to display in speed grader, well past the due date, and Canvas updates it to LATE for everyone at the point of grades being posted.  Very frustrating and confusing for students and faculty.