[Gradebook Settings] Separate Late policies for individual assignments

in the new gradebook it would be great if there were separate policies for each assignment or even for each assignment group.  We have different policies for our participation than for typical assignments for example.  Having one policy for the whole course means this feature is not usable for us.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

65 Comments
kmatson
Community Explorer

Yes this has to be assignment by assignment.

Karen

thompsli
Community Champion

This would definitely be something I'd need before I could use this feature. Some assignments are much more about "regular interaction with the class" and need to be done on time, and others are about "showing you understand the material" and can have a more forgiving late policy. (I generally penalize late discussion posts or other things that other students in the class are supposed to be interacting with but am more forgiving with solo practice things like autograded homework "quizzes" where your lateness only impacts you.)

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Agreed. I think it would be helpful for the late policy feature to be one that can be applied ‘per assignment’ or ‘per assignment group’ - as opposed to globally for the entire course. I had actually envisioned this more as something that could be set when actually creating the assignment and/or provided as a new ‘assignment group rule’ option. For example, some might want to set a late policy for exams/quizzes as an automatic zero at the due date, but accept other types of assignments late (but with a penalty). One might also want to forgo the penalty on specific assignments (perhaps during drop/add). 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I can see the value of being able to set the late rules for each assignment. While tedious, perhaps this could be included in the options when creating and assigning an assignment.

More importantly, I would really appreciate being able to set rules per Assignment Group. It would be very helpful to be able to have more control with deductions. I have different policies in place for daily work vs major projects, and I know that colleagues of mine do as well. Because of this, the new automated features of the new gradebook aren't widely used at our school.

kmatson
Community Explorer

Kimberly,

Yes it should be tied to creating the assignment. It can't be global. There is not a one size fits all penalty, nor should there be.

Karen

kblack
Community Champion

Agreed!  I think a separate policy by Assignment Group would make more sense...at least as a first step(?).  I could see doing it assignment-by-assignment getting rather tedious, but at least by Assignment Group it could make for an easier workflow.

bsr
Community Contributor

I'll second that "agreed"! It could go either way, but for me it would be easiest and most useful by assignment group. I also have different policies for different types of assignments. One of my assignment groups has 56 short quizzes, and it would be a bit of a chore to go back and set the policy for each one individually. Doable, but much easier to just have them all in a group and apply the late policy to the group!

kmatson
Community Explorer

I voted this down because this needs to happen at the assignment level. First not every assignment will have a penalty so no faculty won't have to deal with it constantly only the assignments that need a penalty. We don't need another group thing. We already have to make sure we are talking about the right groups - are they People, are they groups for a quiz, are they groups of assignments, are they a group assignment - hence the confusion. More importantly we have groups already in Canvas Assignments that serve two roles; one to allow us to weight and second to allow us to apply rules like dropping the lowest grade. So what happens with dropping the lowest grade and penalties and weights all in the same group?# I mean we can get very, very creative here but simple is always the way to go. We want/need grades to be transparent to students (Quality Matters).

Karen Matson

linnea_sudduth
Community Member

I am in favor of this because of the flexibility it would provide. Depending on the class and assignment type, I may want the same late work policy for every assignment in the course, or I may want different late work policies depending on the assignment type. That being said, in its current iteration, Canvas does not allow for the type of late work policy I implement in my courses, so I would also be interested in additional options for late work policies.

Linnea Ward

ndo28
Community Novice

Late policy by individual assignment or by assignment group or either would be great.