[Gradebook] transfer scores for students who change from one section to another with the same teacher

Problem statement:

My teachers need the ability to easily transfer the scores of a student who moves from one section of a course to another. (i.e. moving from 6th period to 4th period for the same course with the same teacher). Our SIS, Aeries, has this ability and it is a game-changer.

Proposed solution:

Add the functionality to transfer student assignments/scores from the concluded section to the section they moved to. Our SIS, Aeries, has this ability and if you just copied that, it would be perfect. 🙂

User role(s):

admin

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi @joe_johnson -

Thank you for sharing this idea!

How do your teachers assign work? Is there a single assignment that is assigned to 'Everyone' or differentiated by Section? If all students are assigned the same work and a student moves sections, the grades should follow them.

However, I understand that grades may get complicated if an instructor uses an automatic late policy -- the due date/time sticks to the section, no matter when the student turns in the work, even if it was on time for their original section.

I look forward to collaborating a bit! 🙂 

joe_johnson
Community Member
Author

Because our district uses a Block schedule, assignments are mostly differentiated by section/period. Many teachers also use the Automatic late policy (though that is less of an issue for this particular request).

However, a single assignment is created for all sections of the same subject (i.e. Geometry). For the particular situation I am using as an example, the teacher did not have her courses cross-listed, so the student's assignments in the section/period the student moved from "disappeared" until we clicked Show "Concluded Enrollments".

Now she has to go and manually transfer the scores to the new section/period. 

I am asking for the ability select a student that has moved and 'pull' the scores from the previous section into the current one.

kmiller12
Community Member
Problem statement:

Teachers who need to move a student from one section to another within the same course are not able to retain all of the student's activity history, only data stored in the gradebook can be preserved and the process for transferring that data from one section to the next is not user friendly.

Proposed solution:

I don't know technically how this would be done, but a transfer student option should include a checklist of activity the teacher would like transferred to the new section. There can be asterisks or other alerts for activity such as discussions that were conducted in the first section. Students transfer sections through out a course's duration. Preserving student data should be easier for teachers and admins.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New