[Mobile - Canvas Teacher] Modules tab in Canvas Teacher app

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas Mobile

Currently the Canvas Teacher app does not allow teachers to view, rearrange, edit, or publish their modules in a site. It would be great if, at a minimum, Teachers could view a site's modules like students can in the Student app (it is unclear why this is unavailable to staff). However, ideally the app would also let Teachers edit, rearrange, and publish their modules and the items within them.

Modules are a crucial part of Canvas. Our teaching staff use them to structure learning materials, assignments, quizzes, pages, and other information for students across the teaching period. It would be highly beneficial for them to be able to manage this remotely using their mobile devices.

Two example use cases:

1. If there is an item or module that is unpublished, and a student emails the teacher because they cannot access it, the mobile app should allow the teacher to go in and publish the materials quickly and easily (similarly, if there is something that should no longer be published to students, the teacher should be able to quickly amend this).

2. If an assignment or discussion needs to be moved from one module to another, so that it's clear to students when it needs to be completed, this should also be possible in a mobile application.

Added to Theme

30 Comments
rseilham
Community Champion
llloh
Community Novice

I totally agree that Module view is crucially needed in the Teacher app.  We just started using Canvas and, all lecturers here organize the teaching material using Modules at the top level. This was what was recommended to us during the User Training Fundamental 1 & 2.   

I'm truly puzzled why it's in the Student app and not the Teacher app.

rseilham
Community Champion

@llloh ‌, 

I think this is because the Canvas Student app has been around much longer and it doesn't make sense to simply put the modules in the Teacher App from the Student app because teachers and students use modules differently. Last year the Mobile PM said they are coming, but needed some extra thought: Apr 6, 2018 9:07 PM 

I hope to see them soon as this is my biggest "ask" of the app. 

rseilham
Community Champion
rseilham
Community Champion

Hi  @ana_mataksiviou ‌,

Modules in the teacher app should be available soon. Sign up to beta test: Canvas Mobile Product Update - Spring 2019 

rseilham
Community Champion

HI  @llloh ‌

Modules in the teacher app should be available soon. Sign up to beta test: Canvas Mobile Product Update - Spring 2019 

rseilham
Community Champion

@jeremy_stevens ‌,

rseilham
Community Champion

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Modules are here! Canvas Teacher Modules is Available‌ and Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.8)

See the Google Play or Apple store to update! :smileygrin:

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

As  @KristinL  has noted ((Thank You, Kristin!), a very large and eagerly anticipated portion of this idea has been completed. Instructors can now view modules in the Teacher App!

For details, please see:

Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.8)

Canvas Teacher Release Notes (Android 1.8) 

Canvas Mobile Product Update - Spring 2019 provides additional insight into how we are addressing this idea.