[Modules] Modules Display as Collapsed by Default

With courses that have many modules and module items, the default un-collapsed state on the modules page makes the view overwhelming. I would love the option to choose a 'current' module and have that automatically open for students or at least have the default view be auto-collapsed. The un-collapsed view is often a turn-off to faculty and designers who are considering different ways to represent their course content.

79 Comments
cjohnson7
Community Novice

All of the modules should be collapsed by default or there needs to be a module navigation on the left hand menu that lists each of the modules so that the user student or teacher can navigate directly to the module they want.  I am working on creating classes and this is actually painful to do.  It takes so many extra clicks that it is ridiculous.

jimmypage
Community Novice

Would love to see this added.  One of my courses is loading fairly slowly when viewing the modules page.  Collapsing the modules speeds up load times considerably.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Essential IMHO.

Would also make Linking to a Module much more effective and user friendly so student only sees the Module features needed.

mcowen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Here is some code you can use to collapse & expand modules.

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers/blog/2018/07/05/collapse-expand-modules 

It may be what you are looking for in this feature.

I hope this helps.

Have a super day!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

This works a treat - brilliant job Mike!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ross_glover
Community Novice

Mike,

will this continue to work with any Canvas updates or will the code need to reinstalled every update?

cheers

mcowen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ross_glover ‌ - every update, no.

If/when the modules page changes the element ids, yes this will break and someone will have to fix it if they want to keep using it.

ross_glover
Community Novice

Thanks for your reply Mike and confirming my thoughts. Smiley Sad

jennifer_hibber
Community Participant

As a course developer, when I am working on later modules in a course, having to re-collapse all the modules before the one I am working on every time I go from viewing a page to viewing the entire course (which I have to do A LOT!!!) drives me CRAZY. It's either re-collapse or scroll for miles, either way it wastes my time. Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change whatever you need to change so when I collapse a module, it STAYS collapsed until I un-collapse it. It's ridiculous that this is not the case now.