[New Quizzes] Polling Questions within Quiz

Problem statement:

It would be useful to offer a question type in New Quizzes that includes all "correct" answers and allows the student to choose a preference, similar to a poll. I ran across this in a question that had options from which students could choose, but the answers were their preference and then they could defend their choice in a subsequent essay question.

Proposed solution:

In Depth of Knowledge Level 4, students need to be able to choose from a variety of possible options without one specific option being correct. Sometimes there are several viable options, none of which is the only right answer. Create a question type that allows for polling.

User role(s):

instructor

1 Comment
MarianaHaedo
Community Member
Problem statement:

Polls can be used to check in with students and engage with them, and are important and useful tools to allow for regular and substantive interactions with students, especially for online courses where face to face interactions aren't a possibility. For example, I would like to know if students are able to use their online book easily. Another way of using a poll is by asking questions to engage students in upcoming topics to learn. For example if we have to ask if they think genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are good or bad before seeing the topic, and then creating a poll after they see it to open up discussions on the positive and negative uses of GMOs.

Proposed solution:

My proposed solution would be to add a poll feature to Canvas so that it can be directly integrated into Canvas and linked easily to announcements or assignments. .Relying on an outside source (such as Zoom or SurveyMonkey) makes everything more cumbersome, especially if the source is not regularly used for the class.

User role(s):

instructor