New UI: Use pictures for courses

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I couldn't find anything like this in the discussions already, so I hope I'm not being redundant!

It would be great if we could upload images for each course on the homepage rather than just selecting colors. I love the new theme editor and it would great to have just one more level of customization on the course page.

Thanks!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

39 Comments
nigelw
Community Novice

I love this idea. It would make the Dashboard much more personal. You can add pictures when sending to Commons, why not on the Dashboard?

mbrown6
Community Explorer

This feature would be extremely beneficial.  Our district services TK-12, and has high populations of English Language Learners, and students with Individual Education Plans.  Often times an image helps make meaning or make it easier to navigate sites.  Please consider allowing teachers to add an image to the course tile. 

Thank you,

Mickey Sullivan

San Diego Unified School District.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-08-15)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @kerry_floyd  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @DeletedUser ​,  @Chris_Hofer ​,  @millerjm ​,  @KristinL ​, mikescheid​,  @johnmartin ​,  @brigid_taylor ​,  @angela1 ​, aluxenburg​,  @kona ​,  @ephraimross1 ​,  @John_Lowe ​,  @tdarrow ​, dreesd​,  @ejackson ​,  @jwillin ​, watsonnk​, &  @mbrown6  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

johnmartin
Community Champion

That Canvas listened and acted so swiftly on this a huge testament to it! I've never seen anything like it.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I hope that anyone who is interested in customizing Dashboard course cards will join me for a CanvasLIVE​ quick demo, Add Images to Your Course Cards, coming up on Thursday, January 19, 2017. Teachers and admins who are already familiar with the process of adding images to course cards will find this to be a quick refresher; those of you who haven't yet tried this will learn the how-to's, and will also pick up some tips and tricks on image selection and sizing. RSVP “yes” to the event if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed