Post Grades no Marks to students

Problem statement:

Some schools at my university have a grades no marks policy. This means that assignments are graded as normal but students don't receive a mark just a letter grade. Each assignment still requires a numeric value to calculate the final grade at the end of semester. We currently have a workaround. In Assignment Group 1 and assignment is created for the submission but it has a zero value. Students submit their work, it is assessed, they are given feedback, and a letter grade is entered as the mark. This is posted so students can access their feedback and view their grade. A second assignment is created in Assignment Group 1. This second assignment is where the marker adds the numeric value for the assignment. It is never posted so the student sees only the letter grade. This workaround adds time to set up and is confusing to new team members and to students.

Proposed solution:

The Grading Scheme settings in Canvas should have a setting so only a letter grade is visible to students when assignment grades are posted. This could be a checkbox, or it could default to that setting if certain grading schemes are selected. This should be controlled at a sub-account admin level, and should roll over when new session sites are created.

User role(s):

admin

1 Comment
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi @John_Gaspar -

Have you explored the  Canvas Release Notes (2023-09-16)

Admins can choose to allow courses to display letter grades or the marks set by the grading scheme only using the Restrict quantitative data setting which allows admins to hide the view of quantitative (numeric) data for students and observers of new courses. When enabled, students can no longer see traditional points and percentages. Focus is placed on showing qualitative feedback and the marks defined by the grading scheme.

It sounds like this should be available, but it will require a conversation with your local Canvas administrator to enable this option for courses.

If I have misunderstood the request, please let me know. I'm happy to collaborate with you!