Push Notification Redirection

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We have received feedback this year on the Canvas app and one of the requested features is appropriate redirection from a push notification.

Often, students click the push notification, are directed to the course home page, and then do not know what they are looking for (because the notification is not easily retrievable). This leads to students missing assignments, discussion replies, due date changes, and more.

The solution suggested is to have push notifications redirect to the specific part of a course the notification pertains to (e.g. if they receive a notification that the due date for Quiz 1 in course XYZ has changed, they should be taken to Quiz 1's page in course XYZ when they tap the notification).

I apologize if this has already been submitted.

Comments from Instructure

This fix for this was not listed in the release notes, but it was fixed with the following releases.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14089-canvas-student-release-notes-ios-320 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13968-canvas-by-instructure-release-notes-android-57 

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

hi funkmastaz‌! Thanks for taking the time to create such a ell developed idea! A few months ago, there was a question in the Canvas Mobile Users‌ Group about something very similar. https://community.canvaslms.com/message/64166-push-notifications-for-files-on-ios-canvas-app?sr=sear...‌. 

rseilham
Community Champion

This is a great idea. It just makes sense. I think to build off of this, it would be nice if the app had a push notifications panel that would should you a list of recent notifications that you can tap on an take action. This is similar to Facebook. As for this idea, I agree that it causes confusion with our teachers and students as well. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi funkmastaz‌ - My students shared with me today that after updating to Canvas Student (iOS 6.0)‌, they could tap a banner notification and then be redirected to the correct item. It's worth some more investigating, that's for sure! If they are indeed correct, that will be awesome for all Canvas Student users.

rseilham
Community Champion

I can confirm I'm seeing the same as Kristin. The notifications are opening in the proper place in the app. It wasn't officially on the release notes, so maybe it's a soft launch of sorts, but it's progress. It's the "small things" that really count. (: 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

funkmastaz Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @KristinL  Thank You  &  @rseilham  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

jlore2019
Community Novice

I think this feature needs to be improved regarding discussion notifications. When clicking a notification that a new discussion post has been made, I'm taken to the main discussion page. It should take me to the new posting. I have upvoted the feature to have an unread filter, but linking directly to the post in the discussion would be more helpful. When viewing unread posts from the web I can click a link to view it in the discussion. We should have a similar capability in the mobile app.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed