[Rich Content Editor] Options when adding a Google File

Problem statement:

When adding a Google Drive file in the Rich Content Editor, I don't always want to embed the Google Drive file on the page. I don't want to add it as a url link because I would then have to edit my share permissions in my Google Drive and hunt down the url. I can edit the html code so that it is added as a hyperlink instead, but the majority of my faculty do NOT know how to edit or use html.

Proposed solution:

Can options to embed or simply link the Google Drive file on the page, etc. be added to the Rich Content Editor? This will be even more efficient than the way it already operates.

User role(s):

admin

1 Comment
AlexisNast
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Thank you for your suggestion! Unfortunately the Instructure provided Google apps are in maintenance mode at this time, and we're not extending the feature set provided. Our recommendation for accessing new functionality is to use the Google 1.3 application. Any additional functionality or functionality changes needed from the Google 1.3 application will need to be directed through Google, as they own the tool. That said, Canvas' LTI support does provide a way for tools to choose whether a URL or iframe is embedded in the Rich Content Editor, so this should be technically feasible.