Rubric for Informational Text with No Point Value

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Sometimes rubrics (we refer to them as Scoring Guides) have lines of text with no point value associated with it.  It's purely "information only", and it does not require a score (highlighted below).  In order to work around this, we have to have two "zero" scores in there.  It would be helpful to have an option to create an "informational" row where no points (including zero) have to be displayed.

34134_CanvasRubric.jpgCanvasRubric.jpg

Use case: We sometimes have Scoring Guides with several rows of criteria which contain values of "Met" and "Not Met" instead of point values.  These are more of a "check-off" for each criteria, and therefore no points should be assigned for that row.

As a side note, when you use a rubric in the SpeedGrader to grade a criteria that has two "zero" scores, both get highlighted in green even if you click on just one of them.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

34 Comments
vrs07nl
Community Contributor

i have already voted for this and have asked collegues / canvas groups to do so too... we are 5 short of 30 ... can anyone else promote?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

Side note, the voting process and number of votes needed has been recently revised.  How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

:smileycry:

buellj
Community Contributor

This would be a great enhancement. Seattle University has a program called Core, which includes general requirements that all undergraduates need to take. At one point the Core folks wanted to use common rubrics, but were unable to do so as they were not able to put the rubrics into context as they were more program-oriented. Having info-only spaces in the rubric would be very helpful.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

As a point of clarification to my Feature Request, there may be times where there will be rows of criteria that use points and no points in the same rubric.  For example, you might have something like:

• You describe the steps to make supper.
    • Acceptable - 5 points
    • Satisfactory - 4 points
    • Needs Improvement - 2 points
    • Not acceptable - 0 points
  • You include a works cited page.
    • Met (no points)
    • Not Met (no points)
khull
Community Member

This is a long-overdue enhancement to rubric functionality (along with a slew of others).

Currently to have a non-graded rubric, I work around the rubric's "every criterion has to have a point value" limitation by using the non-graded rubric option and assigning 999 points to each criterion; e.g., Excellent (999), Good (998), Satisfactory (997), Below Satisfactory (996), Incomplete / Late / Not Submitted (0).  Then I have to train my students to ignore the points values.  Having the ridiculously inflated points scale helps them remember that these are not real points and that I want them to pay attention to the text in the marked box instead.

It would be so much easier for the students, though if we did not to have to use this kind of a kludge.

-Klint

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

not sure how related this post is related  but see my comments re rubrics we require that i suspect are needed also for this feature

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

please see my recent comment at Editing Capabilities for Rubrics about the fact that even if set a rubric to hide total score so does not show in grades section ( out of 0) - the speedgrader view  for students shows the total of the rubric at the bottom  ( this is something we do not want to see) - yet the rubric view if click on rubric icon in grades view does not (this is how it should be in speed-grader view too)

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png84989_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

Frustrating that this one didn't get the needed votes.  It's a real issue for us at MPTC (and I'm sure others who have posted already).