[SpeedGrader] Hyperlinks in Assignment Comments

I know there is a feature request out there to allow HTML in assignment comments, which would solve this idea. But, in case HTML in comments is not possible/feasible, I'm offering this as a separate request to just allow hyperlinking in comments. This feature request could be at least partially resolved in one of three ways, as I see it:

1. Just like you can attach a file or video, provide a button to attach a link
  2. Provide a button to insert a link into the comment
  3. Program Canvas to interpret a link in a comment after it's submitted and hot link it in the comment view. 

Any of these would work and provide a much needed improvement to the feedback experience. 

Thanks!

One of our specific use cases, if it helps:

In order to provide rich feedback in our courses, we really need a way to provide a hyperlink—hot link that students can click on—in general assignment comments. Often we need to send students to resource to help them. For instance, we have a Resource Center website that houses learning objects, tutorials, instructional content, etc. on specific targeted topics. We direct students to specific resources to help them with specific topics as they need it, just-in-time. For instance, if they answer a question wrong on a quiz, the feedback sends them to the specific page that can help them with that question.

We would like the same ability to be more accessible to students in assignment feedback. Yes, you can provide a hyperlink in the comment as long as it's not too long but the student then has to copy the hyperlink and paste it in a browser. The hyperlink text, if long, muddies up the comment view. We serve students all over the world in every socioeconomic environment and of every age. We use a centralized grading model that requires repeatable and consistent processes to provide high quality rich feedback at a high scale. We need the feedback to be easily accessible and simple for the student and grader, including resources we wish to link in the feedback. 

Added to Theme

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

findlayj
Community Novice

This would be incredibly helpful. I can easily leave a link here. Hopefully leaving links in assignment comments would be just as easy.

cboroski
Community Member

I wish there was some kind of function that allowed me to comment on an assignment with course links (pages, assignments, etc), so that when I comment on a student's work and want them to refer back to something, I could link it directly to the comments I leave them. I think it would be nice to be able to say "refer back to the notes on diction (lesson 2)" and then put a link directly to the course page or assignment with those notes. 

AngelaHarman
Community Member

I think a direct link would help students quickly get to the material being referenced. 

RobDarrow
Community Novice

Has this happened yet? Very much needed. Thanks. 

ElaineCramer
Community Novice

Same.  I also use Screencastify to make videos because it allows me to do a screen capture and as I narrate things they need to fix in assessments.  Having the ability to make a Screencastify a hyperlink would be very much appreciated.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme