[Speedgrader] HEIC support in SpeedGrader on Windows

Problem statement:

Allow HEIC files to be viewed within Speedgrader on PCs without having to download them. Every semester I have students who submit HEIC files using their phones or iPads. If I'm grading using my university-provided laptop, I have to download each one and open it in a different piece of software. This slows down the grading process considerably.

Proposed solution:

Add the ability to view HEIC files, regardless of device or platform. If I grade student assignments on my Android phone, I can see HEIC files that have been submitted in the Canvas mobile app. I cannot, however, see the files if I'm grading on my Dell laptop. I don't want to have to do all of my grading on my personal cell phone, so it would be great to be able to actually see the HEIC files in Speedgrader. Downloading them and then opening them puts an awful lot of extra work on the instructors. Asking the students to open their images and export them in a different format or asking them to change their settings to save in a different format assumes that college students know how to do that. In fact, many do not know how to do those types of things with their devices. I've seen a couple of other ideas about HEIC in SpeedGrader. Once was archived and one was set to Won't Be Considered or something similar. Past requests for this listed licensing issues as a reason for not implementing it, but if I can view HEIC files on my Android, I don't see that licensing is the problem.

User role(s):

instructor