[Studio] The insights tab doesn't work when you use Canvas Studio videos in Discussion Groups

Problem statement:

When my students insert a video in Discussion Groups, the Insights tab doesn't show up. This is inconsistent behavior and should be fixed so that Canvas Studio works the same way in all places in Canvas.

Proposed solution:

Make sure Insights tab shows up and work in Discussion Groups like it does in other Canvas Features.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,ta,designer,observer

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi @katiejacobson -

Thank you for taking the time to share this with the Instructure Community. 

From what I understand, if you are replying to a group discussion, the Display Media Tabs toggle does not display; you cannot include the Details, Comments, Insights, and Captions tabs with your media or track viewership data.

By chance, have you shared this with Canvas Support? They would be able to diagnose this as a bug, and if they do, this idea does not need to advance through our Ideas & Themes process. 
How do I contact Canvas Support? 

If our Support Team confirms that this behavior is intended, this idea will be shared with the Product Team.

katiejacobson
Community Explorer
Author

Ha ha, I contacted support about this issue and they told me to submit an IDEA for a new feature. However, I agree with you this is a bug! Though I'm frustrated at being sent in circles!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the reply. I'll see what I can learn!

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

@katiejacobson ,

Thank you for reaching out. I wanted to add my comment so you are not sent in circles.

I can confirm @KristinL's comment, unfortunately this is a known limitation that we will tackle in the future when we prioritize our efforts for a better integration between Studio and Canvas Group Discussions.

Furthermore, I cannot offer a workaround at this point as there is a technical challenge under the hood to be solved however, we will add this to the Studio Known Limitations page to make sure this has appropriate visibility.

Best,

Akos

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Moved this to Will Not Consider based on the previous comment.