[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
Si1verhawlk
Community Member

I think canvas should have an option where you are able to switch to a dark mode color scheme so the screen isn't completely white and acts as a lamp while I am doing school work at night. My bluelight screen filter does help, but the large white background doesn't help with focus as I have to look away every few minutes. 

PJ_Glove
Community Novice

I do hope we can make this a feature. Seeing as my school has disabled us from downloading chrome extensions so I am not able to use a dark/night mode extention.

MichelleHF
Community Novice

whole heartily agree !

Ariana_Palmes21
Community Novice

Hi! I think it would be nice if there's an option for a dark theme. It would be definitely useful not just for me but for almost all students using canvas. Especially during the night when we study or if some are sensitive to excessive light. Thank you!

SarahJoelle
Community Member

I love using dark mode on websites and devices. It's a nice way to change up the things I look at for hours and the asthetic is pleasing. I would love it if this feature could be added to Canvas. I know lots of other people who would definitely use this if it were an option.

SarahJoelle
Community Member

I would love this! It's time forthis to be in the next update!

MadisonTela
Community Novice

i would like everything on canvas to be dark mode, it helps with my eyes if I am on my laptop and I think it would help with students who have to read a lot.

HASHEMJABER
Community Novice

I would recommend a dark mode which would most likely be used by user demographics of 17-27,

Calexitch
Community Member

I would love to see a dark mode. As someone who suffers from migraines, looking at a bright, white background tends to hurt my eyes and trigger light auras.

SethBeckett
Community Member

How is dark mode still not a thing😭 Please add it, I guarantee soooo many students will use it. Or even add it as an optional beta feature with a disclaimer😇