[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
megan_horikawa
Community Participant

I grade 100s of assignment submissions in canvas daily. I would greatly appreciate a dark mode to prevent eyestrain. 

MichaelBruzas
Community Novice

Literally, just add a dark mode. Most Highschool level students do work in the evening hours and having a dark mode option would hurt less to look at.

AdamRichard
Community Novice

Another vote for dark mode. Especially on mobile (android/ios) apps. 

DenisTari
Community Member

darjmode

Community Member

give us dark mode my eys hurt

SaeedSarah
Community Member

I suggest that Teneo puts a Dark mode for Canvas since most students eyes get strained by the white screen

HarryBates
Community Member

Would love if there was a dark mode, makes things way easier to read in my opinion.

Thanks!

BraidenWestlund
Community Member

Also when doing things in the dark it dosent suck. My eyes are very sensetive and the light mode hurts at night. Dark mode should also be toggle-able.

JackRaymond1212
Community Novice

Many students stay up late doing work, studying or doing last minute assignment checks. A white screen is a floodlight and hurts many students eyes staring directly into it for hours. A dark mode would help a lot of us not be blinded while working.

VictorRiso
Community Novice

A dark mode interface, where the background is black instead of white. As many students use Canvas at night, less harsh white will help reduce eye strain. A simple idea, but I believe it makes a big difference!