[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
KYEHOUSDEN
Community Member

This is a great idea I love dark mode it helps my eyes so much

MatthewRussillo
Community Novice

Night mode would be a good thing for canvas to have, especially when working on assignments late at night.

RJWALKER
Community Novice

There are many students who end up suffering severe eye strain from online education. Blue light from screens can also cause insomnia and trigger headaches. Canvas can help mitigate these issues by including a "dark mode" so that the white screen is less oppressive. This would be an important accessibility tool for students who get chronic migraines as well. It's honestly baffling why Canvas hasn't included a Dark Mode. There are chrome extensions, but why would there need to be? It's perfectly within Instructure's budget and ability to create a comprehensive Dark Mode for Canvas. The chrome extensions are also imperfect as some parts of canvas are not visible using the extension. 

Why don't we have Dark Mode yet?

Jonathan41
Community Novice

We need something to not hurt our eyes dark theme will make it black and white and a toggle on and off for kids who fall asleep in class

Schmoe
Community Member

PLEASE add a dark mode. high contrast UI doesn't help very much and it would be nice to have a dark mode. staring at my computer screen several hours a day with nothing but blinding white backgrounds strains my eyes. it would be nice if you had the option to force pages that aren't uploaded dark, to become dark (like the Dark Reader google chrome extension which I cannot use due to my organization restricting use of extensions). And be sure to keep the toggle for it in an easy to access location and not in some other settings tabs, this is not only for convenience but also so that if an organization restricts certain settings in canvas, the dark mode doesn't get unintentionally restricted.

EthanBarry
Community Member

We need this badly! As a wannabe software engineer, I know that looking at a bright screen for long periods of time gives me a headache. Please, please, PLEASE add a dark theme! Thank you for keeping Canvas running smoothly!

Brad_Stevenson
Community Member

I think that since a lot of students use Canvas at night, their eyes begin to strain, and blue light can become harmful. I feel like Dark Mode would be extremely useful to users that have lots of assignments at night. It's pretty simple, but it would be a good improvement to the website and app.

ZachariahDesros
Community Novice

Add dark mode. I'm taking tests early in the morning and I have ocular migraines that would be helped by not seeing an incredibly white screen in my dark room.

John69420
Community Novice

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ADD A DARK MODE I DONT WANNA OPEN MY CHROMEBOOK AT 3 AM TO GET FLASH BANGED BY THE LIGHTS OF GOD JUST BECAUSE I WAS ON CANVAS.

sincerely

-John L Carreno Medina 🙂 

JOSH18ALV
Community Novice

Un modo oscuro en la interfaz ayudaría a los estudiantes