accept course invites in mobile app

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be very nice if the ability to accept course invitations was available in the mobile app.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14089-canvas-student-release-notes-ios-320 .

46 Comments
rseilham
Community Champion

This is a request from UCF. Deactivated user​ said at InstructureCon that in the Fall that 25% of student will access Canvas for the first time on a mobile device. This makes it important for them to be to accept an invite to work in their classes.

d21585h
Community Contributor

This is a great idea. Once we can vote on it in a few days, I'll support this.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

@rseilham ​ thank you for adding the student usage percentage. d21585h​ thanks for the support.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

For anyone who is following this Enhancement Request, it is now open for voting. Thank you!

d21585h
Community Contributor

Thanks for the reminder. I voted for this great idea.

buellj
Community Contributor

This would be great - we're also seeing increased mobile use and the apps need to have as much of the same functionality as the desktop experience as possible.

tdelillo
Community Champion

I noticed this week that mobile users can access the course whether they've accepted the invitation or not. I don't know if that's a bug, and whether this is the right place to discuss, it, but if they were first prompted to accept the invitation, then it wouldn't be an issue.

rseilham
Community Champion

Tracey,

Thanks for the message. I think it's actually a little more complicated than that. When a student is invited to a course the mobile app will

1. Show the course, whether they have accepted the invitation or not (as you already stated)
  2. Treat the course as a public course. The student cannot do anything related to a grade (which can lock out content if prerequisites or requirements have been added) until they accept the invitation on the web. NOTE: On the web, the course will automatically accept your invitation once the user accesses the course, regardless is they accepted the invite

Here are screenshot of what happens when you try to take a quiz on mobile without accepting an invite first. Notice the loading animation won't change.

IMG_4131.png

This matches what happens in a public course on the web:

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 9.39.32 AM.png

This makes the case for being able to accept invitations on the mobile app.

tdelillo
Community Champion

Hmmm. Makes sense, given some of the limitations I was seeing. They were able to participate in discussions, though, which I didn't think was quite the behavior of a public course.

rseilham
Community Champion

Interesting. Definitely adds to the fact that this is more complicated. I'll test that out on my end and get back to this post. We might be dealing with an enhancement and bug situation. ( :