iOS 14 Widget

Create a Canvas widget for iOS 14 that allows customizability of grades or upcoming assignments to be seen

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For additional information, please read through the Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.10)

10 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

@bsf7c4 

I'm not really sure what you mean by this.  What type of problem are you trying solve with this?

bsf7c4
Community Novice

Just a canvas mobile app feature request to utilize the new widgets feature in iOS 14. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

midnightxenesis
Community Novice

Currently the Canvas Student app uses the "legacy widgets" that were used up through iOS 13 that show up in the Today view. The new widgets in iOS 14 are part of the new WidgetKit framework and API that allow widgets to come in multiple sizes and configurations, and can be placed anywhere on the home screen and today.

Widget configurations that could work with the new iOS 14 widgets would be grades, assignments, and notifications, similar to the widgets types offered in the Android app. These new widgets would be very helpful addition to have as they would offer a quick glance at grades or upcoming assignments right on our home screen.

Quintessential
Community Member

Wonderful Idea! I was about to comment this myself. The calendar feature would be great for students to see what is due soon. 

Jacobwe21
Community Member

I’ve been hoping for iOS 14 widgets for Canvas since iOS 14 came out last fall. 
I would recommend showing the most recent grade or upcoming assignment for the small widget, and maybe the same thing but with more detail or two assignments listed for the medium widget. For the large widget I showing a list of upcoming assignments, grades for classes, or grades for assignments would work well.

I think an iOS 14 widget would be a great addition to the Canvas student app. I might try to make one myself for it if no one else does. I learned today about subscribing to my Canvas calendar on iOS so I it is possible to see the next assignment through the iOS calendar widget, but I can’t get the most recent grade on the Home Screen yet. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Canvas Student app supports Announcements and Grades widgets for iOS 14. These widgets allow students to add announcements or grades to their home screen. Tapping the widget will open the Student app.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.10).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed