Text generators: Beyond Lorem Ipsum

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

If you've ever had to create a dummy page, or if you've ever had to demonstrate using the Rich Content Editor to a group of learners, you've probably had the need for a text generator, and most of us are familiar with Lorem Ipsum text. I recently mentioned this in an impromptu CanvasLIVE chat (and if you want to know more about how that works, have a look at CanvasLIVE: 24/7 LIVE Chatrooms), and suggestions of other, more entertaining text generators started flying about.

So I decided to create a shared document to which we can all contribute our favorite text generators as well as methods of generating text. Please share your idea in the table below, and be sure to tag yourself in the last column.

Text generatorLink
Sample text
Options
Comments (optional)
Contributed by
Lorem ipsum generatorhttp://www.webpagefx.com/tools/lorem-ipsum-generator/Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer nec odio. Praesent libero. Sed cursus ante dapibus diam. Sed nisi. Nulla quis sem at nibh elementum imperdiet. Duis sagittis ipsum. Praesent mauris. Fusce nec tellus sed augue semper porta. Mauris massa. Vestibulum...Number of paragraphs, words, or sentencesstefaniesanders
Bacon ipsum: A Meatier Lorem Ipsum GeneratorBacon Ipsum - A Meatier Lorem Ipsum GeneratorBacon ipsum dolor amet tenderloin leberkas jowl, kevin ham chuck landjaeger bresaola shank pancetta. Tail ham cupim kielbasa shank. Filet mignon jerky meatloaf meatball picanha beef shank burgdoggen capicola kielbasa ...All Meat, Meat and Filler, Make it SpicyDeactivated user
Pirate Ipsumhttp://pirateipsum.me/Chain Shot Nelsons folly Jolly Roger topgallant cable yardarm Gold Road swab gally rum. Snow parrel man-of-war grog blossom ahoy Privateer come about run a rig Cat o'nine tails booty. Nipperkin chase guns...Number of words per sentence, sentences per paragraph, number of paragraphs @Chris_Hofer 
Veggie IpsumVeggie Ipsum - the vegetarian lorem ipsum generator

Veggies es bonus vobis, proinde vos postulo essum magis kohlrabi welsh onion daikon amaranth tatsoi tomatillo melon azuki bean garlic....

Copy existing text or "grow" new text

Equal time for vegans!stefaniesanders

Lyric Ipsum

as of 1/11/2019 this site is not working

Lyric IpsumI'll write home every day. Whisper words of wisdom, let it be. (1409607566242). She is standing right in front of me. Living in the world agree. the lips I am missing. Remember I'll always be...Enter the name of your favorite band in the search box
  • Bands available are limited
  • Text generator is a bit wonky (notice the inclusion of random strings of letters)
stefaniesanders
Lyric Ipsum!Lyric Ipsum!Let it be, let it be. Let it be. And when the night is cloudy. Living in the world agree. Let it be. Yeah, let it be, let it be. Let it be, yeah, let it be. Speaking words of wisdom....Name of band, name of song, number of paragraphs, Latin/No Latinstefaniesanders
Cupcake IpsumCupcake Ipsum - Sugar-coated Lorem Ipsum GeneratorPowder cake tootsie roll. Cake chocolate cake wafer pie. Liquorice ice cream cookie gummi bears sesame snaps gummi bears icing pie gummi bears. Lemon drops sweet roll croissant sweet...

Number of short/medium/long paragraphs, "Give your text some 'love'"

Warning: This will make you want a cupcake. Smiley Happy @stuart_ryan 
aTextaText - Typing accelerator - Text macro utility for Mac.n/aAdd shortcuts for your favorite Ipsum generator(s) to this app for MacDeactivated user
PhraseExpressAutotext - Text Expander for Windows - Snippets Managern/aGenerate boilerplate templates of your choosingThis is my go-to for making the same comment on every student's submission in SpeedGrader.stefaniesanders
Riker IpsumRiker Ipsum

I'm afraid I still don't understand, sir. Captain, why are we out here chasing comets? I can't. As much as I care about you, my first duty is to the ship. and attack the Romulans. We could cause a diplomatic crisis. Take the ship into the Neutral Zone

Can click "more" to create longer paragraphsAll STNG Riker quotes, all the time @tdelillo 
Cat IpsumCat IpsumCat ipsum dolor sit amet, paw at beetle and eat it before it gets away. See owner, run in terror put butt in owner's face yet curl up and sleep on the freshly laundered towels yet chase dog then run away stare at ceiling light find something else more interesting. Paw at your fat belly i like big cats and i can not lie lounge in doorway or toy mouse squeak roll over attack the dog then pretend like nothing happened or purr for no reason.# of paragraphs, [Standard || Lorem Only || Just Breeds], title, sub copy, start with "Cat ipsum dolor"Vets have told me that appreciate its humor Smiley Happy @hsiao_62 
Hipster Ipsumhttps://hipsum.co/ 

Esse ex tacos, synth flexitarian edison bulb gluten-free mlkshk twee sriracha mixtape. Succulents veniam shoreditch, disrupt irony organic squid dolore butcher cred ad dolor ea. Cred chicharrones plaid commodo velit, try-hard williamsburg activated charcoal consectetur iceland chia selvage fanny pack. 

Choose between "Hipster, neat" and "Hipster, with a shot of Latin"Possibly offensive; review text before publishing.snufer
PostmodernismCommunications from Elsewhere

If one examines subpatriarchial theory, one is faced with a choice: either
accept modern narrative or conclude that society has significance... 

Parses random grammar to generate random postmodern essays, complete with fake bibliographies.This is fun, but could confuse students who might perceive it as actual text—so use sparingly. @nathanatkinson ‌
Office IpsumOffice Ipsum - Dummy Copy for the Corporate World Focus on the customer journeyBig data. Drink from the firehose i don't want to drain the whole swamp, i just want to shoot some alligators we’re starting...Choose from Office Ipsum ("what you've heard in every meeting ever"), Client Ipsum ("typical feedback clients like to give"), and good old fashioned Lorem Ipsum.Review for suitability with intended audience. @nathanatkinson ‌
Corporate Ipsumhttps://www.cipsum.com/ Leverage agile frameworks to provide a robust synopsis for high level overviews. Iterative approaches to corporate strategy foster collaborative thinking to further the overall value proposition...Corporate-speak, simplified.Review for suitability with intended audience. @nathanatkinson ‌
Trollem IpsumTrollem Ipsum - Having trouble finding the right words? (from an Apple Fanboy who is "new at this"): Battery drain apparently best design, this is why profit.Choose from the dropdown list of troll types.Use at your own risk. Smiley Wink @nathanatkinson ‌
1 Comment