Give mobile users the ability to use picture-in-picture to multitask while watching media on canvas

Jump to solution
brloon
Community Member

I’m a student and have been using canvas to complete assignments with either my computer or ipad and occasionally my iphone. With many fully online classes, teachers will post video lectures in the “media gallery” tab. Usually when i’m watching a video on safari or an app like Netflix i can minimize a video into a corner of my iphone screen (picture-in-picture) and proceed to open another app while the video continues playing. This feature would be great to have in canvas in order to easily take notes while still having a video visible especially for students who’s main school device is something like an iphone. Currently on canvas there is no way to do picture-in-picture or even play the audio in the background. The only way to watch content on canvas in media gallery is by having the canvas app opened. I think that picture-in-picture can be added by either figuring out how apps like Netflix have this feature or possibly by allowing media gallery content to be viewed in safari. Most all videos on safari are typically able to do picture-in-picture. Currently when viewing content in media gallery on an iphone you are sent to a page that looks like a tab from safari but you’re still in the canvas app. From there if you try to open the media gallery in safari by clicking the safari symbol in the bottom right hand corner then safari will open to a page that says “cannot locate launch request, please try again.”

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good afternoon, @brloon ...

The term "media gallery" isn't something native to Canvas (as far as I know).  It may be possible that your school has integrated another video service into their Canvas environment...such as Kaltura.  Does the name Kaltura sound familiar to you at all?  That's my assumption...for what it's worth.

The majority of your posting sounds like a request to enhance part of the mobile app experience.  I'm not sure if you know about this, but there's a separate area here in the Community where you can make these types of suggestions:

Canvas Ideas and Themes - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

You'll want to read through the linked Guides under the heading "Ideas and Themes" located here:

Community - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

...so that you can get a better understanding of how ideas work.

I know this might not be the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps to answer your question.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes