Accessibility issue in Canvas Guides web pages

Jump to solution
AnishBhatia
Community Member

Hello,

The Canvas Guides are a fantastic resource. I work with faculty to help them work in Canvas, so they are an indispensable resource. Unfortunately, most guide pages have numerous web accessibility issues. Are there any plans for accessibility updates?

For example, I frequently recommend the Canvas Studio Guide. The WAVE accessibility report for that page shows some issues. While I and the faculty I work with are grateful for the resources, having it made accessible would be even better. Thanks!

1 Solution

Thank you @AnishBhatia for the reply!

The Community Team spent a bit of time exploring this yesterday, and we also saw these alerts when we ran WAVE on our pages. However, WAVE is a tool with algorithms that are designed to do its best to point out potential issues. When we reviewed the alerts, we found that many are not issues when explored deeper in the context of our pages and our host website (Khoros). For example, the empty buttons actually have content and empty links are actually tied to Javascript but are caught by filters.

For additional peace of mind, we work closely with Instructure's a11y team. However, if we find issues that inhibit Community Members from navigating our pages, we will continue to partner with our a11y team to address what needs fixing.

If you're building resources for those on your campus, are our printer-friendly versions of lessons helpful? Often you can hover over the three dots menu and then view the printer-friendly version which has a unique URL to a simplified page.

View solution in original post