cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dblunk
Community Participant

Announcement Analytics?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to see how many students and which students viewed an #Announcement?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bkrisenhoover
Community Participant

Hello Dawn,

Welcome to the community!  Others have had similar questions.  There is a Canvas Idea which you can vote up for consideration by the development team.  Here is the link: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4757-track-announcement-views" modifiedtitle="true" title="Tra....

Don't hesitate to reach out with other questions.  There are amazing people here who love to help:-).

Best,

Brandon

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dblunk  Welcome to the Canvas Community.

Great question. I've wondered the same thing from time to time.

As far as i know you can find out individually who has accessed Announcements. 

Here's a guide for that, quite a handy tool:

How do I view the course access report for an individual user? 

However this could be a bit cumbersome to look at each student.

You may need to remind students to configure their notifications so they are alerted when there is an Announcement.

Here's a guide to send them:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344 

I hope that helped a little. Sing out if you need a hand. 

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

A challenge with announcements is that students don't actually need to open an announcement to read it if they have their announcement notifications turned on. We send out institutional announcements to staff, and as the district admin, I'm able to get a sense of views using Google Analytics data for a specific announcement in Canvas, but I have no idea how many staff members are reading the message direct from their email.

bkrisenhoover
Community Participant

Hello Dawn,

Welcome to the community!  Others have had similar questions.  There is a Canvas Idea which you can vote up for consideration by the development team.  Here is the link: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4757-track-announcement-views" modifiedtitle="true" title="Tra....

Don't hesitate to reach out with other questions.  There are amazing people here who love to help:-).

Best,

Brandon

View solution in original post

dblunk
Community Participant

Thank you for the info, Bobby!

dblunk
Community Participant

Great point, Audra. I usually add an extra credit bit to my Announcements (i.e. first 20 peeps to reply to this Announcement with their favorite Shakespeare quote, etc.), and quite a few of them reply via the Message they received notifying them of the Announcement! I viewed the Can*Innovate conference last week and I swear there was something about being able to see who viewed what Pages or Files in the Modules and for how long, so I figured there must be some easy-access Analytics for Announcements as well. 

I voted up for this, so let's hope! 😉

Thank you for taking the time to respond. 

Dawn Blunk

dblunk
Community Participant

Thank you Brandon, I voted UP! 🙂

Hi  @audra_agnelly ...

We just recently got Google Analytics set up for our Canvas environment within the past two or three months.  How are you able to see data for specific announcements?  I would be interested in learning more about this...thanks.

@chofer ‌, dive down to Behavior > Site Content> All Pages.

In the toolbar, above the analytics data there's are search bar. Enter the announcement URL or just the trailing end of the string (ex. 32959/discussion_topics/594946) to see the analytics for a specific announcement. Likewise, omit the announcement ID (ex. courses/32959/discussion_topics or just 32959/discussion_topics) to get page views for all announcements over the defined time period in a course, although actual discussion topics will get caught in that query. For the course I'm looking at, discussions aren't being used, so it's not an issue. To cast a broader net, you can just identify the course in the search query (courses/32959) and see where top activity is occurring.