Are Canvas Discussions getting Turnitin similarity report?

Jump to solution
hottingert
Community Participant

This article that came out today gives me some hope for the future of similarity reports in Canvas discussions.  Does this mean we may actually get similarity reports in Canvas Discussions?

42 Lines Announces Partnership with Turnitin | Tech & Learning University 

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello hottingert Thank You for posting your question.  While I do work for or speak for Instructure, my assumption...based on this article...would be "no".  Based on the article that you posted, I think the key paragraph is this:

With the Turnitin integration, instructors who use Harmonize will have access to similarity checking functionality to review student work–from essays to discussion posts–without leaving the Harmonize platform where the conversations, collaboration and content-sharing are taking place.

If I am interpreting this paragraph correctly, a school would first have to have the Harmonize LTI integration (which appears to be have its own discussion interface) connected with their Canvas environment.  Then, those that have Harmonize in their courses can then use Turnitin to check for plagiarism.  There's nothing I can see in the article that would indicate that Turnitin would be available for Canvas discussion topics.

I hope this helps, Tom.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes