Did you mean: 
doriansalzmann1

Assignment Group detailing total percentage attained for Course

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have the following scenario attached.

2021-12-21_12-51-20.png

The question that I have is:

How do I show the Assignment Group 1, which equates to 30% of the grade, to show the true value of 22.9% and not the arbitrary value of 73 points.

Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Dorian,

The assignment group column does not show the percentage earned towards the overall course grade.  It shows the percentage earned within that particular assignment group.  

In your example, you have a student who got 73 out of 100, or 73%, on Assignment 1, and since Assignment 1 appears to be the only assignment in the Assignment 1 assignment group, the assignment group column also shows 73%.  If there were multiple assignments in the assignment group that had grades, the percentage would reflect the cumulative percentage for all the assignments in the assignment group, i.e, total points/points possible for the assignment group.

Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Dorian,

The assignment group column does not show the percentage earned towards the overall course grade.  It shows the percentage earned within that particular assignment group.  

In your example, you have a student who got 73 out of 100, or 73%, on Assignment 1, and since Assignment 1 appears to be the only assignment in the Assignment 1 assignment group, the assignment group column also shows 73%.  If there were multiple assignments in the assignment group that had grades, the percentage would reflect the cumulative percentage for all the assignments in the assignment group, i.e, total points/points possible for the assignment group.

Mike

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

Yes, each Assignment Group column shows the percentage earned for that Assignment Group. Here, for example, are the grades of one of my students:

• Weekly Homework (dozens of assignments) - 86%
  • Weekly Quizzes (12 quizzes) - 74%
  • Exam 1 - 80%
  • Exam 2 - 87%
  • Final Exam - 63%

The Assignment Group Weights are as follows:

• Weekly Homework - 40%
  • Weekly Quizzes - 10%
  • Exam 1 - 15%
  • Exam 2 - 15%
  • Final Exam - 20%

The students' Overall Grade Percentage was 79%. Clearly, her poor performance on the Final Exam brought her grade down. In the end, though, I gave her a B because she was doing well in my class until the Final Exam.

I hope this helps.