Can I change the way Canvas names duplicated assignements?

Jump to solution
CaseyCattron
Community Member

I am an instructor and it would be really helpful if I could alter the method Canvas uses for naming duplicated assignments currently it names them by just adding the word "Copy #" for example:

• Assignment Name (original)
  • Assignment Name Copy (first duplicate)
  • Assignment Name Copy 2 (second duplicate)

I would like to change it because there are some assignments I have that end in a number and are repeated weekly or daily. So it would just be easier if it detected what number the previous assignment ended at and then in the duplicates changed that number incrementally. Like this:

• Assignment Name 1 (original)
  • Assignment Name 2 (first duplicate)
  • Assignment Name 3 (second duplicate)

Or alternatively like this:

• Assignment Name 1.1 (original)
  • Assignment Name 1.2(first duplicate)
  • Assignment Name 1.3 (second duplicate)

I can code some so if this would require a certain level of programming knowledge then that is fine.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes! We are fortunate in the Community to share this space with @James, who uses API and scripting to get all kinds of things done more efficiently than the point-click-wait involved in using a browser. He is generous in sharing his "Canvacements" with the Community, and one of them makes changing assignment names as easy as typing in a Google Sheet. Though the title indicates a different purpose, I tested this tonight and discovered that it works for names too:

Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page

View solution in original post