Can I disable Grammarly?

Jump to solution
kmcgrath
Community Participant

As an ESL instructor, I don't want my students to use a grammar check - I need to see where their mistakes are.  We don't have Grammarly integrated into Canvas, but it still works as a browser extension.  Anyone know of a way to disable the browser extension at the course or institution level?  #grammarly

1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Kimzey,

Browser extensions are typically managed for each user by each user within the user's browser. So unfortunately it's not possible for you to manage what extensions your students install in their browsers. The only exception I know of is if your institution is using an enterprise version of Chrome or Firefox, which does allow for extension management (such as shown for Chrome here). You'd probably already know if your institution was using an enterprise version of one of those browsers, and if so, reach out to your admin.

You may also just want to be upfront with your students and recommend not to use extensions—they're not perfect anyway, and human feedback is always the best way to learn. Smiley Wink 

Erin

View solution in original post