Can students see submitted responses to a manually graded quiz before the quiz has been graded?

Jump to solution
CaitlinGewin
Community Explorer

I've received a request/question from an instructor about quiz submissions made by students. Are students allowed to see the responses they've submitted to quizzes that are set to be manually graded? They don't need to be able to make changes to them, but is there a way for them see their submissions before they are graded?

I am an admin, but this request is coming from an instructor.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Hi @CaitlinGewin, would this be for classic or new quizzes? Also I am not sure if that mean there are questions that need to be manually graded, or if the teacher means that the grade posting policy is set to manual.  If the grade posting policy is set to manual, then by default students cannot see their submissions or score, for them it shows as "muted" until it's graded and posted.  Except for new quizzes: there, the policy must be set in the new quiz's settings How do I manage settings for a quiz in New Quizzes... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

In Classic, viewing the submission also depends on quiz settings. If they have checked "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)" in the quiz settings, then yes students can view their responses even on a manually graded quiz before it's graded.  If they haven't checked that, then students will not be able to view the submission whether or not it's been graded and posted.

View solution in original post