Can you use the test log feature to tell if another person is accessing a test?

Jump to solution
mewing
Community Member

Does anyone know much about the respondus lockdown browser and the test log that you can use via Canvas? I am concerned that a parent is accessing my tests take on lockdown. I noticed on the log that the test will say session started and then about 30 seconds later it will say session started again (please see attached PDF). This is happening on a particular student's test only. 

1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello Megan,

All that the log really tells you is that the student left the test, then returned to it immediately.  There's really nothing telling you whether the student left and then the parent is the one who returned, especially if you think that the parent may be logging in from the same computer.

The Canvas admin will be able to tell you if the "student" has logged in from two different IP addresses during the test, but that doesn't really help if you think they are connecting from the same machine.

Lockdown Browser has an option for "Lock students into the browser until the exam is completed", which will not let them close the browser or log out while the exam is in progress, though it's obviously not foolproof.  If your school has Monitor, of course, you can require the student use a webcam to record themselves while taking the test.

Mike

View solution in original post