Canvas Collaboration Tool Issues

KarinJ
Community Member

I'm trying to use the Collaboration Tool to allow students (who are self-selecting into Canvas groups for their final project) to work together on a group Google Sheet. I like what I've read about the Collaboration Tool--it should do what I want. The problem is, I can't seem to get it to work as described. I'm having two issues:

1. The collaborations I share with students are not uploading student info into the Google Sheet. From what I've seen (in YouTube videos). When I create a new Collaboration and share it with students in the group, those students should appear under 'share' in the Google Doc (or Sheet), from what I've read and watched. But they don't. When I click on the link for the Collaboration that I created, it opens the Google Sheet (great!), but when I click on 'Share' it says "Private Only to Me" and no students appear. I was hoping the Collaborations tool would automatically add students to the Google Sheet NOT to have to enter student emails into the Google Sheet but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is there something I need to do to allow the Google Sheet I create through Collaborations to automatically share to the students I 'shared' the Collaboration within Canvas?
  2. Should Collaborations appear in both the Group's Home page and in the Collaboration tab? I created a Collaboration for each group via the Collaboration tab, but when I went to each group's Home page, the Collaboration I shared with the group doesn't appear. Vice-versa, when I create collaboration within a group, it doesn't appear under the Collaboration tab. I feel like it should appear in both places, but maybe not?   

I appreciate any help/advice. No one on my campus is using this tool, so I'm having trouble getting help.

0 Likes