[ARCHIVED] Canvas dropping wrong grade

Jump to solution
freemalm
Community Member

I have my quizzes set to drop the lowest grade, but Canvas is dropping grades that are NOT the lowest. How do I fix this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @freemalm  Welcome to the Canvas Community and the world of Canvas drop rules.  First, I would recommend you read the information in the blue box at the top of this online lesson multiple times, as I usually have to when explaining this to my own faculty:  How do I create rules for an assignment group?

Basically, Canvas does not define things the way you might.  The outstanding  @James ‌, who I heartily recommend you follow in this Community, has said it best: "The grade that hurts the student the most is dropped."  Here is the thread where James said this, with multiple links to very similar questions to yours where he has added his wise words to the conversations:  Weighed Grades and Drop Lowest . While the question deals specifically with dropping the lowest scores within a weighted assignment group, some of the information conveyed will still apply.

I hope this helps cover showing where Canvas is coming from with this calculation..  I guess if you do not want Canvas to do the picking for you, you can always manually do this yourself by removing the rule altogether from the assignment group, and then perhaps by excusing an assignment in the gradebook for a student, which is covered here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26423-how-do-i-use-the-icons-and-colors-in-the-gradebookExcusing will count neither for nor against the students; it's effectively the same as leaving it at the default grade of a dash.

I hope this helps a bit, Linda.

View solution in original post