Combining the scores of two parts of an exam into one score

Jump to solution
rlennartz
Community Participant

In one class, I give exams that are part multiple choice and part written, the written part being statistics problems.  I am trying to figure out how to do this in Canvas.  My first thought was to use the Quiz function for the multiple choice part and have the students upload phone scans (they have had practice with that on low-stake homework assignments) for the written part.  I would make the written part not count toward the grade, but add those points to the multiple choice scores (such as with the "fudge factor").

However, the quizzes are assigned points in Canvas based on the number of questions and points per question.  I am not sure what will happen if I enter more than the maximum number of points assigned to them.

If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@rlennartz  

If you enter more than the possible points, it will be considered extra credit.

One way to fix that is to put a file upload question on the exam where the students upload their answers. Then you go through and grade that problem separately and adjust the points for the file upload on the quiz.

That's not probably not as trivial as it sounds. The mobile apps do not support formula questions, multiple fill in the blank questions, or one question at a time. If you have any of those it will open inside the mobile device's browser to take the quiz. That's not too bad -- I just tested it on an iPad with Safari and it turns out the instructions I was providing for my students are operating system instructions, not Canvas Student instructions.

The problem comes when you go to grade a student file upload in SpeedGrader. Your options are to download the submission or to download the submission. One at a time. No preview available inside Canvas. Not a nice solution, but it may be what you need if you want the quiz to be timed timed or if you want the students to deliver a randomized version of the exam.

Another route might be to have separate assignments. One part is for the multiple choice and another part is for the written work. Then you can just use a file upload submission type and it's even easier than a file upload question in a quiz.

If you don't need to drop any grades, then just leave it as two separate assignments, each worth the part that they would be worth individually. You can use SpeedGrader and DocViewer to grade their assignment and it's super nice.

If you need to drop grades, then you could put the two individual assignments into an assignment group worth 0% of the grade and then create an assignment that counts that is manually (or using gradebook export/import with Excel) computed that holds their real grade. You'll need to explain what's going on to the students.

A third route is something I've used In the past. I've used essay questions where the students type their answers up. I did that for college algebra. It may or may not be possible in stats, depending on whether you want them to draw graphs or other things that can't be typed easily.

View solution in original post