Convert Learning Mastery to letter grade

Jump to solution
JohnJai
Community Member

I am trying to use the Learning Mastery Gradebook to do standards-based grading, but I need to calculate a final letter grade using the outcomes that have been mastered.  I see that students can track their progress towards mastery in each outcome, but is there a way that I can have Canvas calculate one overall grade based on the number of mastered outcomes?  Thank you very much!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

There isn't a way using Canvas tools to convert a "score" from the learning mastery gradebook to the traditional gradebook, so I suggest exporting the learning mastery report and then use a formula in Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel to make that conversion. Then you could export the traditional gradebook (with a course grade assignment already created), copy the formula results over from one spreadsheet to the other, and then import the results into the traditional gradebook.

Here's how I might do that in my history class, where I have three course learning outcomes:

• F = no mastery achieved in any outcome
  • D = mastery achieved in one or two outcomes
  • C = mastery achieved in all three outcomes
  • B = mastery achieved in all three outcomes and exceeds mastery in or or two outcomes
  • A = exceeds mastery in all three outcomes

Please reply if you would like help with this.

I’m going to mark my response as a solution, but there can be more than one. I hope our colleagues here in the Community can share other options for getting this important information to teachers inside Canvas.

View solution in original post