Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Varick_Erickson
New Member

Custom grade formula for a group

Jump to solution

My university recently switched to Canvas from Blackboard.  I am trying to figure out if there is a way to do a custom weighting of tests based on performance.  I am trying to achieve the following:

  • 40% Assignments
  • 60% Tests (Final 100 points, Midterm 100 points)

    Tests = Max(0.7*Final + 0.3*Midterm, 0.3*Final + 0.7*Midterm)

The idea is if a student scored better on the Final than the Midterm, then the Final will be given more weight than the Midterm.  Similarly, if the student did better on the Midterm than the Final, then the Midterm will be given more weight.

For assignments, it is very straightforward to assign 40% weighting.  Is there a way to achieve the custom weighting for the tests?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @Varick_Erickson 

Canvas does not offer the same kind of custom grade calculation that Blackboard does.  The main tools are weighting by assignment groups (equivalent to categories in Blackboard) and the option to drop X number of the highest or lowest grades from a particular assignment group.

To do what you describe, you'd really need to export the grade book, do the calculation in Excel (or other spreadsheet), then import the result back in as an override grade https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-override-a-student-s-final-grade-in-the... if your school's Canvas allows override grades.

Alternatively, you do the midterm/final grade calculation in Excel and create an "Tests Grade" assignment with its own assignment group and a submission type of "no submission" to record the resulted calculated grade for the midterm and final, and calculate the final grade by giving that assignment group 60% or the grade, the other assignments 40%, and the actual midterm and final 0% to take them out of the calculations.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @Varick_Erickson 

Canvas does not offer the same kind of custom grade calculation that Blackboard does.  The main tools are weighting by assignment groups (equivalent to categories in Blackboard) and the option to drop X number of the highest or lowest grades from a particular assignment group.

To do what you describe, you'd really need to export the grade book, do the calculation in Excel (or other spreadsheet), then import the result back in as an override grade https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-override-a-student-s-final-grade-in-the... if your school's Canvas allows override grades.

Alternatively, you do the midterm/final grade calculation in Excel and create an "Tests Grade" assignment with its own assignment group and a submission type of "no submission" to record the resulted calculated grade for the midterm and final, and calculate the final grade by giving that assignment group 60% or the grade, the other assignments 40%, and the actual midterm and final 0% to take them out of the calculations.

0 Kudos