Discussion notifications and links

Jump to solution
katharine_hawth
Community Novice

How do I provide a direct link to a Discussion topic I have started?  And is it possible for Canvas to send notifications to all enrolled students when a new Discussion topic has been initiated?  I am a student user.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bobby2
Community Champion

Hi  @katharine_hawth  Welcome to the Canvas Community and thanks for explaining your question so well.

You could provide your class with the URL for the discussion, otherwise they can access the discussion via the 'discussions' button. 

Yes Canvas does send notifications but it depends on your fellow students Notification settings, as outlined here:  How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as a student?   If you look there yourself, you will see that there are two separate preferences for Discussions.  One is for topics (which is what you created) and the other is for posts. Please note the default setting for new topics is to not send a notification at all, though the one for a post is to be notified daily. 

The bottom line is if your fellow students never checked their own notifications or changed them, they probably were not informed. A possibility is that you could ask your instructor could inform the class about notifications and maybe send the guide. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes