File access problem

Jump to solution
jschiebe
Community Novice

I am using Canvas to exchange couse contat with my students, and have used Canvas for several years.  Normally, when I upload a file and make sure it is "published", my students can see the file and access it.  My problem at the moment is this:

My students do not "see" the files my students can not "see" the files I posted under "Files".  With "Files" I am referring to the choices listed on the left side of the screen (Home, Announcements, Syllabus, etc.). The students do not see a "Files" option in that area. And in my instructor view, the "Files" option is visible, but there is an "eye" symbol just to the right of it that is crossed out.  When I hover the cursor over the symbol I see a notification saying: "Disabled. Not visible to students".

So, my question is, how do I  enable file visibility?

The course is published, and the students can see other things like announcements etc.

In the listing of uploaded files, there is a green circle with a check mark to the right of "file size" (says published when I hover the cursor over it).

my students can not "see" the files I posted under "Files"
I see a symbol next to files that says "Disabled. Not visible to students".
How do I enable file visibility
The course is published, and the students can see announcements etc.
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @jschiebe  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  This is a super simple fix, an this Guide will tell you how you can enable the "Files" area within your Canvas course: How do I manage Course Navigation links?.  I hope this Guide will be of help to you, Juergen.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post