cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrhitch
Advocate

GDocs showing up in preview mode in Speedgrader when students submit via linked GDrive

Jump to solution

I teach for an online school where students work at their own pace. Also, our students do not have school Google accounts but use their personal accounts. A colleague and I have students complete their assignments in Google Docs and submit a URL. For students who have linked their Google Drive accounts to Canvas and submitting their work via the Google Drive tab (rather than website URL), their links are often submitted with /preview at the end. When we open those links in the Speedgrader, we cannot leave comments directly on their documents as the commenting feature for GDocs is not active. I have a message I sent to students with a link to a screencast showing them how to fix this, but is there anything else we can do to prevent this from happening? Thanks!

1 Solution
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@chrhitch  

Can you please report this through support.  It does seem that if you students are only allowed to submit a URL that the GDrive option should not exist for them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ddaniels

You can turn off how they submit the document! I would choose that they only submit the URL and then that should get rid of the issue. 

341745_pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

That's all I have selected (submit by website URL). 341747_pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

Oh that's frustrating Smiley Sad I just looked through some of the Canvas resources and I don't see anything more about it. I would do exactly what you do and just have screenshots and videos of how to turn it in, but that must be annoying. Question - are these actual Google Doc assignments? I have embedded the assignments into Canvas and then when they submit there's a little button in the top corner where they submit it. The only problem I foresee is they have to have their Google Drive linked to Canvas in order for this to work, which would be another screencast and directions for doing that....sooooo might not be the best idea! haha I'm trying, I'm trying!

I give them a GDoc template for the answer documents but it forces them to make their own copy that is in their own Google Drive. Thanks so much for the help. I appreciate it. It's been happening for a few months and my colleague thinks it's tied to them turning it in via their linked GDrive (that they've linked - we don't require that). We just haven't figured anything else out as I can't figure out a way to share a GDoc as a preview. So weird.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@chrhitch  

Can you please report this through support.  It does seem that if you students are only allowed to submit a URL that the GDrive option should not exist for them.

0 Kudos
chrhitch
Advocate

I don't know if it matters that we are a private online school whose students do not get school email accounts with us. They are using personal Google accounts. #

0 Kudos

I don't think that should matter.  

0 Kudos

The situation resolved itself, I think. Smiley Happy Haven't had issues for a while. 

0 Kudos