cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zooropa94

Going to Total Points FROM Weighted Grades

Jump to solution

I am teaching a new-to-me course this fall. I copied a section of the course from a different instructor to use as a base for mine. That instructor used weighted grades, but I use a points system. I have edited the Assignments page to not use weighted grades, but the Groups the previous instructor created are still there. Additionally, when I create a new assignment, I am forced to add it to an existing assignment group or create a new one.

Am I just stuck using weighted grades and/or using the existing assignment groups, or is there a way around this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Zooropa94 -

You should be able to remove those Assignment Groups and have a single group. If you create the group (or smaller selection of groups) you'd like to utilize, the assignments can be moved/consolidated. In this resource, if you scroll down to "delete group" there are some great diagrams that will show you how to bulk-move items in the group to another group in the course.

How do I add an assignment group in a course? 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Swanson92714

You can weight final grades based on assignment groups. Selecting this option assigns a weight to each assignment group, not the assignments themselves. Within each assignment group, a percentage is calculated by dividing the total points a student has earned by the total points possible for all assignments in that group.

For example, an instructor may create three assignment groups (A, B, and C) weighted at 20%, 50%, and 30%, respectively. The total score equation for a course with three assignment groups would be (percentage A x weight A) + (percentage B x weight B) + (percentage C x weight C) = final course percentage. If a student scores 75% in Group A, 98% in Group B, and 87% in Group C, the final score would be calculated as (.75 x .20) + (.98 x .50) + (.87 x .30) = .901, or 90.1%.

0 Kudos
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Zooropa94 -

You should be able to remove those Assignment Groups and have a single group. If you create the group (or smaller selection of groups) you'd like to utilize, the assignments can be moved/consolidated. In this resource, if you scroll down to "delete group" there are some great diagrams that will show you how to bulk-move items in the group to another group in the course.

How do I add an assignment group in a course? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos