Gradebook Chaos?

Jump to solution
MPDavis1
Community Member

My gradebook is in chaos in a way I have not encountered before. in the "assignments" and "Total" columns, I am seeing numbers such as 645% and, for a student missing about 1/2 o the 20 points of work assigned so far, a grade of 453%. 

What is happening? I have looked at each assignment. There are five small assignments, totaling about 20% of the course credit. I checked each. All other assignments, imported from previous semesters, are "UNPUBLISHED". I had added the "attendance roll call" but I edited that to make it worth zero points as I do not give credit for attendance. 

Any suggestions on what to try next ? Students who are doing poorly might be seeing that they have a grade of 476% whatever that means! 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
JamesSekcienski
Community Coach
Community Coach

@MPDavis1 

When I've seen over inflated grades before, one of the issues involved a quiz where the instructor changed the total point value and didn't adjust the scores.  So even though the total number of points was reduced, the scores for the students weren't adjusted causing grades to be overinflated.  It may be good to check if on any of the individual assignments you see a student score with points that are greater than the points possible for the assignment, or change the view to percentage to see if there are scores on an individual assignment that are over 100%.

It may also be good to review Assignment Groups, especially if you are using weighted groups to make sure the percentage total adds up to 100%.  Considering you said you are seeing high values in the Assignments column too, I wonder if some assignments have accidentally been treated as "Extra Credit" assignments.  How do I give extra credit in a course? 

It may be good to review the "Attendance Roll Call" to make sure that even though it is set to 0 points that students aren't receiving points greater than 0. How do I edit the Roll Call Attendance assignment? You may want to adjust this to check the option "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade" and/or set it as "Not Graded" to make sure it doesn't affect student grades.

View solution in original post