Grades - Mark as Read

Jump to solution
BabsPendley
Community Novice

I am a student user of Canvas and find it distracting (read - annoying) when a grade is entered into the Canvas gradebook and I cannot clear it or mark it as "read." There is an "unread" notification on the Grades sidebar and the blue dot will not disappear. How can I clear these? Opening the graded assignment does not work and there is no way to click the blue dot to "mark as read" as there is within the Discussion forum.

1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @BabsPendley 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with clearing your sidebar notifications. Based on your explanation, if you have "read" an announcement, assignment, submitted  it, etc. the small blue bubble should be disappearing.  There  is no read/unread for the navigation on the side and populates automatically based on your activity and to-do:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-use-the-To-Do-list-and-sidebar-in-the-Dash...

If you have submitted an assignment, checked your grades, etc.  and it  still will not go away it may be your browser or device. We suggest  trying another device or trying it on the canvas app - does it appear there as well? It is likely your internet browser and we recommend clearing the cache and cookies or trying another browser.

In Chrome
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click the three dots
Click settings
On the left, choose Privacy and Security
Then, clear browsing data
At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time. I suggest at least 4 weeks
Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
Click Clear data.

Hopefully this helps! 

View solution in original post